Welcome to Week 7!
Greetings! I hope your week has been going well. We’re close to the middle of the year! Here are your links for this week:
- Thirty Percent Feedback 📝 - This was a concept I was introduced to at Mobify, which I found impactful. Short version: seek quick feedback earlier while it’s cheaper to make changes. For some reason it doesn’t come naturally but I’m working on incorporating it more and more.
- Godot Game Engine 🏗 - This is a free, open-source game engine that is a pleasure to use. It’s much leaner than Unity or Unreal. It has a Python-like scripting language called GDScript. I used it to make a Ludum Dare game jam entry earlier this year. It was fun!
- Creativity, Inc. 📕 - This book is a great insight into Pixar and the latest era of Disney Animation. I plan to re-read it soon, as there are interesting processes that originated at Pixar for gathering feedback and creative collaboration.
- 8 Frames in 16ms: Rollback Networking in Mortal Kombat and Injustice 2 ⚗️ - I hadn’t heard of rollback techniques prior to this talk and always wondered how any fighter game worked at all in networked situations. Their implementation is very interesting!
- Let’s Model a SPACESHIP in 10 MINUTES in Blender 2.81 - ep. 1 🚀 - This YouTuber has a series of “in 10 minutes” videos which are fun, inspiring and educational. It helped me push past some areas where I would normally get stuck with trying to model something in Blender.
Do you have any questions or comments? Let me know! Thanks for reading and talk to you next week!