Welcome to Week 6!
Hello! This week turned out to be mostly about audio and video, with two podcast recommendations and two YouTube videos, enjoy!
- Playmakers Podcast 🎙 - This is a podcast series from a few years ago by my friend Jordan Blackman. Every interview is great, and many of the folks interviewed I had not heard of or from before. I plan to re-listen to them again soon.
- Muay Thai training with Samart Payakaroon Ep1 🥊 - Samart Payakaroon is considered to be one of the all-time greats in Muay Thai kickboxing. He was a champion in the 70s and 80s, and recently started a video training series on YouTube.
- Radical Candor Podcast 🎙 - Another podcast, this time based on the book Radical Candor by Kim Scott. Radical Candor is a great management framework that falls under the “simple but not easy” category.
- Jesse Ringrose - Design Challenges in Splitter Critters 👾 - I worked with my friend Jesse at DeNA Vancouver, prior to his hit mobile titles Dark Echo, Splitter Critters, and Sneaky Sasquatch. This talk goes over the development of Splitter Critters, specifically the iteration on the main interaction mechanics.
- Hiring Without Whiteboards 📝 - Whiteboard coding and brain teasers aren’t good tech interview techniques. I’ve never enjoyed them on either end of the interaction, and they weren’t good predictors for job performance. This is a list of companies with descriptions of their hiring process, that doesn’t involve the bad stuff.
Do you have any questions or comments? Let me know! Thanks for reading and talk to you next week!