Welcome to Week 53!
Happy Thursday. I hope your week has been great so far! The theme for this week is performance:
- 90/90 Breathing Position 🌬 - This breathing technique can be used post-workout to switch back to the “rest and digest” parasympathetic mode for recovery. Also useful if you are feeling particularly stressed or agitated.
- The Rendering of Rise of the Tomb Raider 🎨 - This is another great breakdown of “how a game renders a frame”. It goes over and explains many of the rendering techniques used to create the final image.
- Lessons learned from 15 years of SumatraPDF, an open source Windows app 📄 - This is a fun read with lots of great lessons. I also don’t agree with 100% of the conclusions and there are some contradictions (there is both praise and criticism of automated testing). There is a lot of stuff that makes sense if you are a solo developer, but most of the time we have to work in a team 😄.
- What Having a “Growth Mindset” Actually Means 📈 - I recently read the book “Mindset” which is all about fixed vs growth mindsets. This is a short follow-up clarifying some common misconceptions about the idea.
- The Secret to Writing Fast Code / How Fast Code Gets Slow 💡 - This is a fun opinion piece about the various development situations that can result in application performance issues. Most of the time the best you can do is mitigate as much as possible, as opposed to completely solving. What do you think?
Questions or comments? Suggestions? Let me know! Thanks for reading and see you next week!