Welcome to Week 20!
Happy Thursday! I can’t believe it’s been 20 weeks of the newsletter already. Time flies! This week has some gems, enjoy:
- Lessons learned while developing Age of Empires 1 Definitive Edition 🎮 - Rich has compiled a list of useful lessons from revisiting a game from the late 90s. Now we often build using engines or frameworks, so these lessons resonated strongly with me.
- DOOM Eternal - Graphics Study 🖼 - This is a walkthrough of rendering a single frame of DOOM Eternal. It’s fascinating to learn about all the techniques used by modern renderer.
- A Beginner’s Guide to HTTP Cache Headers 🌐 - The original article is no longer online, but through the magic of of the wayback machine I was able to resurrect one of Mobify’s most popular blog posts. HTTP Cache headers have a huge influence on website performance, and it’s worthwhile to understand them.
- Complete Guard Passing Overview 🥋 - This a great video about how to start thinking about guard passing as a system of responses to body positions. I enjoy Jon’s teaching style and he has more great videos on his YouTube channel.
- Your Money or Your Life 💰 - Personal finance management is difficult. “Mr. Money Mustache” has his own perspective, and I always appreciate his thoughts on the subject. This is one of my favourite articles of his where he reviews the book credited with starting the “financial independence movement”.
Questions or comments? Suggestions? Let me know! Thanks very much for reading and see you next week!