Welcome to Week 16!
Hey there! It’s been a busy week and I hope you are well. This week features training, tips and an announcement:
- How to set up a triangle - Silver Fox BJJ 🤼♂️ - Karel “Silver Fox” Pravec is a 3rd degree BJJ black belt. He has done a few videos with Firas Zahabi, the famed coach of Georges St-Pierre. This video goes over many details about the triangle choke in “no-gi”, and also features some Q&A. It’s from May (quarantine time) so it is an example of a full online class session.
- Story, Narrative Design & Dialog: Part 1 - Thinking About Your Game’s Story 📜 - Ed Kuehnel is a freelance writer and has written for 76 video games. In this series of videos he goes over the process of writing for games. I learned a lot from his videos and book recommendations.
- A Neat Trick For Compressing Networked State Data ⚡️ - A short post about communicating changes of game state in a multiplayer game. There are even more ideas in the comments.
- A tweet thread about humility in software engineering by Alice Goldfuss 💡 - I really like the approach Alice describes, and try to model those behaviours myself as much as possible.
- Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Storm Ground ⚔️ - A bit of self-promotion, but the game studio I co-founded has just announced its first game! Focus Home Interactive is the publisher, and it’s set in the Warhammer Age of Sigmar universe. The team has been doing great work and it’s very exciting to share its existence with the world!
Any questions or comments? Suggestions? Let me know! Thanks for reading and see you next week!